Cows and dogs go waaaay back. Heck, we even have a special breed of dog just for the bovine (cow dogs). Because we don’t condone cows as pets (free the cows), we recommend y’all look to dogs or cats for your animal companion needs.
If you have decided that a dog would make the perfect pet for your family, you aren’t done making important decisions yet! The next quest you gotta ask is, what kinda dog is right for your family? Dogs come in all sorts of sizes, breeds, colors, personalities and temperaments. To make your journey as a pet care provider (a more suitable term than “pet owner”) successful, you gotta select a furry friend that’s best suited to your spouse and your kids. If you already have other pets, that’ll also factor into what you should be looking for as a pet care provider (it’s not that catchy, but we will think of something here pretty soon that is). Important things to consider when choosing the right breed of dog for your family should include:
- How big is your house? Your yard?
- How old are the folks who live with you?
- How many hours you will be working or away from home each week
- How much time you have to dedicate to exercising, grooming and training your dog
- Whose got animal allergies? (Some of us cows are actually allergic to humans, go figure.)
Here are some of the most popular breeds to consider!
- Golden Retriever – Medium to Large in size, these guys are smart, loyal, friendly, obedient and brave (kinda like Boy Scouts). They were bred for hunting, but do really well in family environments. They need lots of outdoor exercise and regular grooming. They shed something fierce, so be ready especially during the change of the seasons. Labrador Retrievers have many of the same qualities as the Golden Retriever. They are protective.
- Poodle – Despite what you may think, Standard Poodles are actually considered one of the smartest breeds of dogs around, if not the smartest. There are also Miniature and Toy Poodles, which are not as smart but still cute…ish, if you’re into that sort of thing. These guys are pretty close to hypoallergenic, but require quite a bit of grooming because of their curly hair. The bigger breed needs lots of exercise and a good, spacious closed-in area. You need to keep them entertained, or they are gonna find something to do, and you may not like it.
- Shih Tzu – Ah, the Little Lion. These are great lap dogs. Good for companionship when you work a lot from home or just don’t move around all that much. They have actual hair, and are therefore hypoallergenic. They need lots of grooming, unless you decide to shave them bald. If you are moving here to Texas, and you have a Shih Tzu, we recommend the #2 treatment. But these little guys? They are lovers, not fighters. Treat them right, and they will love your forever!
There are lots and lots of other choices out there obviously. Others we absolutely love and recommend for families include Dachshunds, German Short-Haired Pointers, King Charles Spaniels and Pugs. What is your favorite kind of dog? Tell all of us at Square Cow Mover on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SquareCowMoovers
Image Source: flickr.com/photos/terminalnomadphotograhy/59357669
Original Source: https://squarecowmovers.com/furry-family-members-which-breed-of-dog-is-right-for-your-family