When you are in the middle of packing for a move, all you can think about is filling the next box. While you may be in box mode, don’t forget you can make use of you family’s suitcases. The best items to pack in your luggage are the things you will need for the first night and morning in your new home. The suitcases will stand out amongst all the boxes and provide easy access to the essentials after a long day of moving. We suggest packing your bag or bags the night before a move with toiletries, towels, pajamas and other necessities. This list will help you remember all the basics.
- Toiletries: Toothbrush, toothpaste, hand soap, body wash, cleanser, shampoo, conditioner and anything else you may need to keep clean.
- Linens: Sheets, pillows, blankets, towels, washcloths, and the like so you can dry off after a shower and roll into bed.
- Shower Curtain: A cheap shower curtain or even just the liner will suffice so you can have a hot shower without splashing water all over the bathroom.
- Toilet Paper: This essential is one that you won’t want to be without.
- Kid’s Lovey: Whether your child has a favorite stuffed animal, blanket or pillow, every parent knows the torture of searching for THE beloved item.
- Pet Essentials: Dog or cat food, treats, brush, leash, collar, poop bags, toys, bones, bed, cat litter and box, food and water bowls, etc. Your pets may have a little trouble adjusting to their new home, but you will be so thankful you don’t have to go searching for their food on the first night.
- Picnic Supplies: Paper towels, paper plates, plasticware and cups. You may not be prepared to cook dinner the first night in you new home, but some picnic items will ensure you can eat any type of take-out.
- Coffee: Coffee maker and coffee cups. If you can’t function without coffee in the morning, make sure the coffee maker doesn’t get lost in the shuffle.
- First Aid Kit: Tylenol / Aspirin / Advil, band-aids, Neosporin, hydrogen peroxide, Pepto-Bismol, etc. You never plan for an accident to happen, but you can always be prepared.
- Chargers: Computer charger, phone charger, tablet charger, etc. There’s nothing like running out of battery to help you realize how much we all depend on our devices.
- Packing / Unpacking Supplies: Box cutter, scissors, tape and a marker are all highly sought after items throughout the course of a move.
- Wine Opener / Bottle Opener : These may not be essential for everyone, but if you plan on celebrating your first night in your new home after a full day of moving, being without these can be frustrating.
We hope this list will help you prepare the last bag(s) for the first night in you new home!