Here at Square Cow Movers we have discussed what should be packed last, but what should you pack first? You can get a jump on the moving game, by beginning to pack early. However, you cannot just begin packing everything-you need a plan! Your family will still need to use certain essential items, but we do have some suggestions of things that you can begin packing first.
- Decorative items such as mirrors, photographs, vases, candlesticks and knick knacks are no-brainers. If the only function of an object is decoration, pack it first!
- Seasonal items and holiday decor are also a good place to begin packing. If your family is moving in the summer you will not need your Christmas tree or ornaments for months.
- Look in your attic, closet or storage space for more ideal items to pack first. Keepsake mementos, your wedding dress, that tent, those ice skates are all non-essentials that you can definitely afford to pack away a few weeks in advance.
- Books, CDs and DVDs are also great things to begin packing first. Your kids don’t need their entire collection of books or DVDs, leave out a few favorites and pack the rest.
- Pack out-of-season clothes first. Winter clothes or summer clothes, whatever is not in season does not need to be out. So go ahead and box up all those coats that you have no use for in May.
- Grandma’s silver, your mom’s crystal, and that china you only use at Thanksgiving are also great candidates for the first items to be packed. Packing these special, fragile objects first will also give you more time to make sure everything is carefully wrapped and padded.
What are you waiting for? Time to start packing, even if your move is still weeks away!