Today is the first day of school for many kids (parents and teachers too)! Oftentimes moving to a new community means your kids will be attending a new school. How do you help your kids cope with first day jitters at a new school? Here are some ways to help your kids cope.
- If the school offers an orientation event, such as a “Meet the Teacher” night, attend with your child, so both of you can become more familiar with your child’s classroom, school and teacher.
- It may embarrass an older student, but send an encouraging note in your kid’s lunch so they know you are thinking about them!
- If possible try to meet a child, perhaps in your neighborhood, that is in the same grade as your student. If the two kids can hangout before the first day of school, this will help ensure that your child knows at least one other person at his new school.
- Get up a little bit earlier on the first day and have breakfast with your kid!
- Go shopping for a new backpack, school supplies, and a first-day-of-school outfit, so your student is excited to go to her new school.
Good luck to all new students (parents and teachers too)!