Extra trash or junk is always inevitable in a move, usually on both ends. Sure you are going to do your best to give away, sell or donate anything that your family no longer needs. Somehow there always ends up being a large amount of extra junk, it might be broken, stained, torn, unusable, etc. But for whatever reason you recognize that no one is going to want it. There may be several things that have piled up at your old residence over the years and now you need to get rid of them before the big move. After you arrive at your new home and have finished unpacking, you still cannot escape the extra trash. Usually you might be able to reuse or pass along some of the moving boxes, but that still leaves you with discarded packing tape, used packing materials, popped bubble wrap, and crumpled tissue, etc. Don’t forget the extra trash from all the cleaning (of both homes). So what are you going to do with all that trash?
- Try and see what you can recycle first. You may be surprised by what you can actually recycle. The Austin Resource Recovery Service put together an extensive alphabetical guide of what you can recycle and where. This would be by far the most eco-friendly option.
- If you are lucky there may be a bulk item curbside collection happening in your neighborhood soon. There are usually rules about what you can leave, so be sure to research this first. You may also move into a new neighborhood that has HOA rules against leaving large items or extra trash on the curb, so investigate any possible rules before dumping extra trash. If you have a smaller amount of trash, curbside may be the way to go.
- There are several dumps and landfills in Austin; however, it can be expensive to dispose of your garbage. Dumps or landfills might charge you by the truckload, you have to find where the dump is located and haul everything yourself. This might be a good option if you have a medium amount of extra trash.
- Another option is to rent a dumpster, but you may not have THAT much trash. Also HOA rules may prevent you from having a dumpster on your property. This might be a good option if you have a ton of trash.
- The easiest option, with the least amount of work on your part, may simply be to have your junk hauled away. Square Cow Movers offers a trash removal service, call us for more details!