- Lighten the load – Some people call this purging, but that sounds a little graphic to us. Nonetheless, the ideas are the same. Consider a garage sale or have your favorite non-profit swing by to pick up the things that you no longer want or need. Also, throw away your trash! Why are you paying someone to move half-empty pizza boxes and beer cans from one house to another (we’ve done this… and it’s awkward).
- Organize – Get organized! Make labels and group your stuff by category and room. It makes it go so much faster when you can unpack and put things away immediately.
Bonus Note: Use up your perishables. Fresh Start = Fresh Food.
- Start Packing – Keep in mind that the success of a move is largely dependent on the prep work. Start packing the things you use most infrequently. If you are packing just days before your move a good rule of thumb is; don’t leave a room before it is completely packed and ready to go. This will prevent little pockets of piles in each room of your home.
- Measure – This is still part of the prep work we were describing before. Make sure all your stuff will fit into your new place. When we say fit, make sure your 13 ft couch will fit on that wall or your 11 ft armoire isn’t too tall for those ceilings. We don’t carry chain saws in our trucks, for various reasons…
- Take the day off – When mooving, be sure not to schedule anything else that day. Although your mover will handle the heavy lifting, your focused attention is needed to orchestrate everything. Don’t mind us if we call you maestro.
- Adapt – You will need to submit a change of address with your post office and then get it changed on your drive’s license, your bank statements, your insurance, your bills. Maybe you should tell your family that you are mooving as well; or is that all a part of your plan? If you are mooving to Austin, try using our resources page in order to get acclimated.
Plan B…For those last minute, always behind, procrastinator type folks that are moving tomorrow.
You may be asking yourself if you should be calling us if you don’t have any of Plan A done, and you are mooving tomorrow. Of course! It’s rare that our clients have prepared everything perfectly. We understand you are not Martha Stewart (although, upon further consideration, we aren’t sure if she would even have all this done perfectly.)
If you call us today and need to move tomorrow, we are going to bend over backwards to make that happen. (If you are calling just to see cows bend over backwards, that’s cruel.)
Good luck. We’ll see you on Mooving Day!