Who doesn’t want to save money? Wouldn’t you rather have more moo-la to decorate your new digs, instead of spending more on your moo-ve? Read on for some wallet-friendly moving tips.
- If your new home is nearby, you can cut down moving expenses by moving most of the smaller things yourself and saving the larger, heavier, and awkward items for professional movers.
- Instead of spending money on bubble wrap, old sheets, towels, and t-shirts will protect your dishes and breakable items just as well.
- Read this blog from last month on where to score free moving boxes.
- Spend some time before the move planning where your furniture and larger items will go in your new home. If you are paying by the hour this will help to save both time and money.
- If at all possible try to actually be done packing before the movers arrive. Having every box taped up and properly labeled may not be easy to accomplish, but it may help save time and cut down moving costs.
- If you don’t envision that couch in you new home, or there is no room for that extra refrigerator, get rid of it before the move. Clean out your closets, downsize, have a garage sale, hand off your hand-me-downs, do whatever you can to make sure you have less to move. Having fewer items to move will mean less weight carried to your new home, less time spent moving, and more savings for you.